(Gainesville) – The North Georgia Community Foundation recently completed its sixth cycle of COVID-19 relief grants which included funding for nonprofit organizations along with 13 school systems throughout North Georgia. The school systems face a multitude of expenses like necessary PPE, thermometers, and cleaning and sanitation supplies, to resources like tablets, wireless hotspots, and more for virtual learning potentials.
“We appreciate this grant from NGCF to assist us with measures and precautions we are implementing as we open our doors for the 2020 – 2021 school year,” states Gainesville City School Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Williams.
The school system grants total $69,000. Those included across North Georgia are:
- Dawson County School District ($5,000)
- Fannin County School District ($5,000)
- Forsyth County School District ($3,000)
- Gainesville City School System ($8,000)
- Habersham County School District ($5,000)
- Hall County School District ($8,000)
- Lumpkin County School District ($5,000)
- Pickens County School District ($5,000)
- Rabun County School District ($5,000)
- Stephens Country School District ($5,000)
- Towns County School District ($5,000)
- Union County School District ($5,000)
- White County School District ($5,000)
Students in North Georgia faced a sudden departure from in-person learning during the most recent school year, disrupting the education of local kids. As a result, students are facing a drop in learning beyond the standard summer learning loss, and “with the unknowns of the 2020-2021 school year, school systems are facing more needs than ever.,” says NGCF President and CEO Michell Prater.
The grants from the NGCF COVID-19 Relief Fund allow the school systems to use the funds to ensure safe and healthy ways to teach and educate their students.
At the Dawson County Board of Education meeting last week, Superintendent Dr. Damon Gibbs said, “As we approach a school year of what will most assuredly be different than any year, we are so appreciative of NGCF for the generous donation that will help better serve our students during this critical time.”
The North Georgia Community Foundation established the NGCF COVID-19 Relief Fund in mid-March of 2020 to make strategic grants to nonprofits in North Georgia who are impacted by and serving those who are affected by the pandemic. The Fund is actively accepting community donations to continue addressing the needs of nonprofits in the community. Donations may be made directly at www.ngcf.org/donate.