Generator fire displaces Cornelia resident

FILE PHOTO (Daniel Purcell/

A generator fire on the rear porch of a home in Cornelia led to heavy fire damage and the displacement of one person, according to fire officials.

The fire broke around 1:33 p.m. on March 19 at a home on Modoc Drive. When fire crews arrived, they found the home heavily involved in fire. The first Cornelia police officer on the scene was able to get inside and help the resident, who was alone in the home, get out. The fire spread to nearby woods and firefighters quickly extinguished it.

Fire crews remained at the scene for more than three hours to put out the flames and check for hotspots. The cause of the fire is believed to be a gas portable generator, which was located on the rear porch. The homeowner was running a weekly test on the generator when it caught fire, said Cornelia Fire Marshal Josh Hazle.

Firefighters from Demorest, Lee Arrendale, and Habersham County assisted crews from Cornelia in putting out the fire. Georgia Power, Perry Gas, and the Cornelia Water Department responded to shut off the utilities to the home.

Cornelia Fire Chief Billy Joe Jenkins Jr. said he appreciated the quick response and teamwork of all involved in extinguishing the fire and keeping the woods fire from spreading to other homes.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email