Baldwin home destroyed by fire; owner injured saving dogs from blaze

The fire broke out inside this house on Mallard Pond Circle Monday afternoon, Nov. 27. (Jerry Neace/NowHabersham.com)

A Baldwin family was burned out of their home Monday afternoon. The fire broke out around 4:33 p.m. at a house on Mallard Pond Circle.

Eyewitnesses say they saw flames coming from the chimney. The fire burned through the roof of the three-story structure.

Baldwin firefighters responded to the scene after a 911 caller reported the blaze. Cornelia firefighters responded with automatic aid. Habersham County firefighters and EMS crews also responded.

(Jerry Neace/NowHabersham.com)
(Jerry Neace/NowHabersham.com)

One of the homeowners was reportedly injured while saving the family dogs. She broke out a window and cut her arm on the glass. The homeowner was transported to Northeast Georgia Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

Four dogs were pulled from the burning structure, one was injured and transported to a local veterinarians office. Its condition is unknown.

Assistant Fire Chief Shaun Benfield stated in a press release, “We had a fully involved structure (fire) on the upstairs. We were able to make entry and knock the fire down from the inside.”

Benfield continues, “There was one injury-to one of the homeowners-and she’s been taken to Northeast Georgia Medical Center for care.” He was unsure of her condition at the time of the press release.

No fire personnel were injured while fighting the blaze.

“The structure is pretty much a total loss,” Benfield added.

According to Benfield, the American Red Cross has been contacted and will be assisting the family.

 

SEE ALSO

Habersham County man escapes house fire with just minutes to spare

Print Friendly, PDF & Email