First United Methodist Church of Clarkesville, Georgia, has been holding campmeeting for years and years. Jennifer Boydstun, a staff member of the church, recalls campmeetings were going strong when she and her family came to the church in the mid-1980s. Boydstun remembers, “Usually what that looked like was informal dress (leave the suit and tie at home!) and singing songs from the Cokesbury Hymnal. It was a time of celebrating the heritage of the Methodist Church and incorporating the historic campground meeting feeling inside the sanctuary on a Sunday morning.” Boydstun said that even the Sunday bulletin would have a different “vintage” look to it.
Pastor Keith Cox changed the terminology from Campmeeting Month to Campmeeting in the City. Two years ago, camp meetings were held in a large tent on the church grounds. This year, concerned about the weather and the bugs, the church has planned the event to be held inside Fellowship Hall. The Fellowship Hall will be transformed to have a “campmeeting feel” without the dirt on the floor.
Campmeeting in the City will be held each Sunday in August. Three of the evening meetings will be community worship services led by pastors and choirs from three other Habersham churches.
Campmeeting schedule is:
- August 1 – 10 am: One Worship followed by a covered dish luncheon
- August 8 – 9AM and 11AM worship. 6PM worship led by Clarkesville FUMC.
- August 15 – 9AM and 11AM worship. 6PM worship led by Shady Grove Baptist Church of Cornelia, Georgia.
- August 22 – 9AM and 11AM worship. 6PM worship led by Life Church of Cornelia, Georgia.
- August 29 – 9AM and 11AM worship. 6PM worship led by Ebenezer United Methodist Church of Clarkesville, Georgia.
For more information, contact Rev. Keith Cox at 706-754-2677. Clarkesville First United Methodist Church is located at 1o8 Washington Street in Clarkesville, Georgia.